Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Quick as a flash Soda Focaccia...A little baking tutorial







Today's recipe is a bit of an Italian/Irish fusion. Literally whipped up in moments, and with very few ingredients, this soda bread focaccia is delicious with soup. Or as we like to eat it in Little Wood -with some oil and balsamic (and a nice glass of White for the adults!)
Well, we can at least pretend we're in Italy!








Method

Preheat the oven to 200C (fan-assisted). Brush the inside of a roasting tin (about 23x33cm/ 9x13in) generously with olive oil.

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, and make a well in the centre. Pour most of the buttermilk in at once.










Either put on mixer, with a dough hook attachment, or using one hand with your fingers outstretched like a claw, mix in the flour from the sides of the bowl, adding more buttermilk if necessary.  The dough should be softish, but not too wet and sticky.  When it all comes together, turn it out onto a floured surface and roll it out so that it will fit your tin (don't roll it too thin - about 1cm depth is about right!)








Make dimples all over with your thumb, on the top of the dough, and add your toppings into the dimples (we used red onion and rosemary here, but see bottom for other suggestions!)  Then drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little sea salt if you wish.









Bake in the oven for about 30mins, or until the bread is golden on the top and bottom.  If the bread is a good colour, and you don't want it to darken any more during cooking, reduce the oven temperature to 180C and continue to bake for the specified time.


When the focaccia is cooked but still hot, drizzle with more oil, and allow to cool slightly before serving.









Variations

Mixed olive
Sundried tomato and basil
Gruyere and thyme leaf
Roasted pepper and Feta


Yum Scrum!













Ciao Bella!




E x












Follow my blog with Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. I am going to make this this weekend. Looks amazing. I love bread with oil and balsamic I could eat it until I was sick. So delicious. I am jealous of your kitchenaid too. I have wanted one for so long!!! Dropped hints but I have yet to receive one. hahaha Thank you so much for sharing your lovely recipe. I will be bookmarking it for sure. Love all the photos. So cute. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing! I love flavoured breads, especially focaccia #sharewithmelinky
    http://zenas-suitcase.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks scrummy and I had no idea how to make it - yum! I shall be bookmarking this in my 'things to make' over on Pinterest. Loving your pics too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have me really wanting to eat this now! It looks delicious, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks grogeous and super simple to make! I have had a real urge to bake lately and I've yet to dive in to do some! I think this may be my first bake in a loooong time! Thanks for this hun, fabulous! Your little girl looks like hs ewas a great help too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I have never heard of this I love the easy to follow instructions by pictures it looks simply yummy great recipe #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love focaccia and this looks delicious! Your daughter looks like she had a lot of fun making it too :) thanks for sharing xx #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks AMAZING! and so simple too.. Definitely going to give it a try x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks lovely, although my daughter wouldn't touch it but my son might. Not tried focaccia before, might give this a go. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does look easy and fun, would love to have a try #ShareWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really easy and fun to do and finish prod looks YUMMY! Its definitely worth trying =) #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks scrummy! I'm a complete bread fiend and could eat it forever. Definitely going to try this during the hols with the little man.

    Complete kitchen gadget envy over your kitchenaid mixer! Hubby wants fancy knives, I want a fancy mixer. Let's see who wins! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUMMY SCRUMMY! And how clever is Miss E?! We love a bit of bread and oil around here - not sure my waistline does though ;-)

    ReplyDelete