Thursday, 24 April 2014

Word of the Week 24/3/14...


A combination of being housebound and beautiful weather this past week, has meant that we have been able to enjoy lots of time in our garden. It is fitting then that my little word for this week is:










For those that may be popping by Little Wood for the first time, I should probably tell you that we moved into our newly built house a year ago (almost to the day!) So occupied were we, with kitchen and bathrooms and carpets, that our outside lay neglected until September last year, when we realised that we would need to sow our lawn if we wanted grass for the kids to play on by Spring. And so me, the Mr and the Father-in-Law (who has far more energy in his 70's than us two thirty something's combined!) started about raking, and lifting stones, clearing ground and sowing seed.
If you knew me well, you would know that this is not a typical Emma pastime. I'm more likely to be found making the coffee, or reclining on a sun lounger. But, to see progress was a great encouragement, and Ta-daaaa...










And the little people have enjoyed it thoroughly so far too..









We even had an Easter egg hunt on Sunday...









Not to mention our little garden visitors...













Of course, there is lots to still be finished. We have fencing to do (miles of it!), a garage to build, our little wood (from where our house takes it's name) to clear and cultivate, paving, planting, gates...the list goes on. But we have forever, and it's one tiny step forward at a time. And anyway - there are definitely advantages to things not being quite ready yet...






(*A pile of stones and a plank are all you need when you're six)





E x





The Reading Residence






Follow my blog with Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you home and garden look fantastic! I love being outdoors, to the point where I frequently wonder what on earth I'm doing living in the suburbs when I'd be much happier in the country :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iona! They're still very much a work in progress, but we're getting there gradually! I've always been a country girl, so it's just normality for me - I do sometimes have a wee inkling to experience city living for a bit too though! Xx

      Delete
  2. Do you live in a mansion Emma?! Fabulous home. Mowing that lawn must be a full time job in itself! I love your pictures of your children - so obviously little characters!! #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness me, no! :) We were so fortunate to have some family land, and the Hub is an architect, so we've been very lucky to end up with this. I'll let you know at the end of the Summer how we've got on with the lawn - that was just cut number one! Xx

      Delete
  3. Whoa! Your house and your garden and your property is so MASSIVE! Lots of space for kids to go outdoors and have fun! #wotw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks a bit bigger in the photos maybe! But, thankyou, and yes - lots of grass and sky and air. The kids are just loving it! Xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow your garden looks amazing! Well done to you all. What an achievement to grow such a thick and luscious lawn. I hope you all make gazillions of memories enjoying it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thankyou! My back and hands will never be the same after all the raking, but I'm proud to say I did it nonetheless! Xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! Stripy grass I had better not show my husband or he will weep with envy! #wotw

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, looks like such a beautiful place and yay for your lawn and lots and lots of fun to be had outside, especially with a plank and some stones! xx #wotw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I would love to have a proper garden for the kids, so much space for them to run around! It looks like all your hard work is paying off, that is some lawn to mow though :) #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you got that lawn sown so the lids can be outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erm, wow!! That looks like an absolutely fantastic space for the kids, and totally gorgeous! I may well take you up on your offer to come garden with you, as it all looks rather lovely there... ;-) Thanks for sharing with #WotW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh wow! You're garden looks amazing! I would love a garden like that :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your house, love your garden and love your photos of your beautiful children x #WotW

    ReplyDelete